By now, you’ve probably heard of a health and wellness coach but maybe you’re not really sure exactly what they do, or how they’re different from other providers you’re working with.
You may think of a health and wellness coach as someone who gives you dietary or fitness advise. This could not be further from the truth!
A health and wellness coach is different from other providers you may encounter. A health and wellness coach does not diagnose, treat or prescribe. A coach is a trained professional. They are a partner, someone to support and guide you toward optimal wellbeing.
A coach facilitates and supports you in taking actionable steps toward sustainable growth and change. You are empowered to take ownership and responsibility for your own health and wellness. Services are offered using a de-stigmatizing, uplifting and strengths-based approach. The coach is an advocate, ally and source of inspiration for lifestyle change.
Let’s take a closer look:
What is Health and Wellness Coaching?
- A collaborative partnership between the client and coach
- Focused on your values, strengths, vision and priorities
- A way to achieve and sustain your health and wellness goals
- Accountability partnership to increase progress and success
- Working through barriers or obstacles to change
- Lasting and enjoyable habits and strategies
- Strengths-based, client-directed, comprehensive
- Focused on the present and future
- Guidance, support, encouragement, empowerment
- Grounded in ethical and evidence-based coaching practice
- Personalized to the needs and goals of each client
- Practical, realistic and sustainable changes to health and wellbeing
- Short-term (typically 12-24 sessions)
- Structured, concrete, goal-directed, action-oriented
- Focused on the “how” (not the “why”)
- A powerful investment in your wellbeing
What Health and Wellness Coaching is NOT:
- A quick fix
- Psychotherapy or counseling
- A weight loss or diet program
- A fitness or exercise regimen (ask for our certified personal trainer!)
- Someone to tell you what to do or give you the answers
- A protocol, prescription or intervention
- A meal plan (our registered dietician nutritionist can offer that!)
- Treatment for an illness, diagnosis or disorder
- Open-ended, passive; no clear direction or outcome
- Focusing on what’s wrong or what needs “fixing” (you’re not broken)
- Analyzing your past, resolving traumas, or managing a crisis
A health and wellness coach can help you achieve your goals in the following areas of wellbeing:
- Self-care & making time for things that bring you joy
- Lifestyle habits & routines
- Managing stress & increasing relaxation
- Mindset, confidence & self-awareness
- Energy balance such as slowing down or reducing fatigue
- Optimizing sleep; restoring the body & mind
- Relationship with food
- Work-life integration & addressing imbalances
- Managing a chronic health condition or medical diagnosis
- Lifecycle transitions
- Maintaining vitality throughout the lifespan
- Career satisfaction & professional identity
- Meaningful connections & community
- Home environment & space
- Spirituality, meaning & purpose
Together, you and your coach will co-create realistic goals to help you achieve your vision for optimal wellness. Your coach will empower you to tap into your inner strengths and support you when you’re feeling stuck.
While a health and wellness coach does not diagnose or treat medical conditions, if you choose, with your consent, they can collaborate with your current healthcare team. The coach can support you in following your provider’s recommendations, and help you feel less burdened by your medical condition or overwhelmed by your treatment protocol.
Why Should I Consider Health Coaching?
Simply put, working with a health and wellness coach helps you get from where you are to where you want to be. Health coaching focuses on the “whole person” and is customized to your particular goals and unique needs. There are no one-size-fits-all approaches.
Making small, gradual changes over time can yield significant results. Partnering with a health and wellness coach can positively impact multiple areas of your life, and help you take your wellbeing to the next level. You may want to try this:
- Consider an area of your life that you would like to improve
- What would your life look like if you were to make those improvements?
- What steps would you take to get there?
- What challenges might get in the way? How could you overcome them?
Why should I work with a health and wellness coach at your company?
Here at the tripartite organization of Specialized Therapy Associates, Fx Med Centers and Xceptional You, we offer an integrated care model. That means we have the capacity to be a “one stop shop” for your wellness needs. We also have the capacity to collaborate with one another as professionals, to offer you high quality, comprehensive care.
Another important reason is that practically anyone can call themselves a “health coach” and offer services. Yes, really. The industry is not yet regulated by the State like a doctor or therapist is. That said, our health and wellness coach is not only National Board Certified in health and wellness coaching (NBC-HWC), but has multiple coaching certificates AND is a licensed clinical social worker with over 20 years of experience. She has been working with the Company since 2017, and is a compassionate, empathic and dedicated professional.
Furthermore, private one-on-one or even group health and wellness coaching services can be costly, typically ranging from $125-$250+ per session. Working with our health and wellness coach will offer a significant cost savings relative to services elsewhere in the community.
All coaching services are offered remotely, at convenient times throughout the week.
To learn more about our health and wellness coaching services or schedule your FREE consultation with our coach, Anna, call 201-488-6678.
Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only. It does not constitute medical advice, or replace treatment or intervention by a qualified medical or mental health professional.
#healthcoach #healthcoaching #healthandwellnesscoach #wellnesscoach #wellbeing #health #wellness #NBHWC #NBCHWC #whatisahealthcoach